Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Funny Find

At a 'White Elephant' book sale held at a recent carnival, I found myself looking at old dusty literature in search of vintage covered pieces that could prove the making of some good movie props. It was during my perusal through the sports section that I came upon a rather curious sight.

Tucked away between a thick leather bound horse racing record book spanning half a century, and the bestselling 'Heart of Success' by esteemed South African Rob Parson, lay a paperback from the popular 'Dummies' series on nothing other than the 'Tour de France'!

It turns out that their sports
section is two books big...
Coming mere weeks after my ramblings on Lance Armstrong were published, there seemed no way that that particular book could have coincidentally popped up at a 'White Elephant' sale. I asked the shopkeeper and, just as I predicted, found out that this particular copy was donated by a former cancer patient who had suddenly lost interest in the cycling competition in lieu of his role model's moral downfall.

Well not exactly... But had I the nerve to interrupt the elderly shopkeeper's intense concentration with which she was solving a Sudoku puzzle, I wouldn't have been surprised to find out that this was in fact the case.

I didn't get to ask her, nor did I find any good potential props for my upcoming film, but it sure got me thinking about the effects that public figures have on people's lives. For good and for bad. It's amazing how suddenly and radically a man's reputation can be made or tarnished.

Only the genuine heroes survive. Only those who are who they seem to be can maintain their status once it has been established. 

Makes you wonder whether putting on a facade and becoming a fictional, supposedly 'better version' of yourself is really worth it.

The truth is, a house of lies is built on a tectonic fault line. No matter how big your house is, if there is the slightest disturbance in the earth, it's going to come crashing down.

So unless you want to fall into a deep fissure of molten lava and be instantly incinerated, just be yourself. It's who you were meant to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment