Friday, February 21, 2014

My First UCT Milestone

Today was a good day. 

Stepping into the world of university I had many expectations and ambitions to make a flying start to life behind the beard. Progress though has been slow as this week has been leant mostly to introductory lectures and tut sign-ups amongst other logistical issues. This day, however, has been a productive one. A day full of firsts!

I made it on time to my first class of the day (maths) for the first time this semester, sprinted accross 'University Avenue' to successfully claim a chair in the ecos lecture for the first time (much to the envy of all the callous-assed dilly-dalliers seated about the hall on the hard carpet floor), and managed to complete a level of Plants vs Zombies 2 while traversing the Jammie steps. With an hour to spare due to a cancelled lecture, I went on an epic quest around campus for a lunch befitting of my constructive day.

It was down a small dingy alley behind an old blue tent that I ordered the famous 'Juan Smaah Cheekin Noodah' (one small chicken noodle) referred to me by a good friend, and sat beneath the trees to feast on all that Asiany goodness. Now to the alumni of this particular Chinese establishment, you all know that the kind Asian lady packs her take-aways like one of those Tokyo bullet  trains where gloved transport officials have to personally shove standing commuters inside the carriage just so that the doors can close: 


After opening the box, the compressed stack of noodles doubles in height and one must use a series of very precise fork actions in order to transfer some of the noodles over to the lid of the container without letting any spill out the sides. Owing to the stringy nature of noodles, this is an almost impossible feat, and the various 'recycled plastic' tables there are left coated with a thin lining of 'Noodah'. 

It is for this reason that I went 'full focus' to ensure my thriftiness, which brings me to the topic of the post; my first big UCT milestone! After 8 minutes and 14 seconds I successfully finished the last noodle, not having dropped a single piece throughout the meal! It was a moment of pure elation. I sat there shocked for a few moments trying to understand what it meant. This single accomplishment symbolised the end of the beginning of my journey at this vine-covered village of students. My life at UCT, had begun.

Sadly, my joy was short lived as half way through 'Accounts' class I felt a bowel surge of astronomic proportions. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! 


Luckily enough I had become well acquainted with the Zoology building by that time and managed to reach the cubicle of the bathroom (the one with a mirror that's awkwardly close to the urinals) just in time. 

Several centuries later I emerged shocked, but unscathed; and ready to realise the next milestone of my epic journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment